- FUCTIONALISTS argue that the family is a UNIVERSAL INSITITUTION. It performs the functions which are essential for the maintenance and well-being of society.
- Talcott PARSONS argues that the family forms 'two basic and irriducible' functions in modern industrial society: PRIMARY SOCIALIZATION and the STABILIZATION OF ADULT PERSONALITIES
- MURDOCK argues that the family PERFORMS 4 FUNCTIONS: 1) REPRODUCTIVE 2) SEXUAL 3) SOCIAL and 4) ECONOMIC.
- He also had a clear idea of what THE FAMILY IS: It has two adults of either sex who maintain a socially approved sexual relationship (marriage).
- It has children 'Own' or adopted.
- It has common residence (they live together).
- There is a clear…