ECONOMY AT THE TIME;
· During the late 50’s it was a time of prosperity where the economy was good and everyone had good amounts of money.
· Macmillans government introduced economic measures to encourage this consumerism and it successfully produced a ‘feel good factor’ in the months leading up to the election.
· Income tax was cut from 43.5% to 38.75% and purchase tax was cut by a sixth.
· 2d was taken off a pint of beer.
· The economy grew by 4% in real terms during 1959 and unemployment fell dramatically.
WEAKNESS OF THE OPPOSISTION;
· The labor government were seen as divided, uncertain and afraid to stand up to the trade union demands.
· Hugh Gaitskell had built his appeal around the issue of economic management.
· Many people also still associated Labor with devaluation and austerity.
· The conservatives formed their campaign on affluence and prosperity, they spent half a million pounds on a poster campaign to promote their new message ‘Life is better with the conswervatives.…