Election result: LAB 393 CON 213 LIB 12
- Led by Clement Attlee who was very statesmanlike and calm
- Attlee was committed to introducing a welfare state.
- Being deputy PM during World War Two gave him the experience he needed to lead a Government.
- His ministers such as Ernest Bevin, Stafford Cripps and Herbert Morrison became familiar faces and were closely associated with the war effort.
- Committed to introducing the Beveridge Report 1942 and a full welfare state.
- Beveridge report sold 600,000 copies highlighting its popularity.
- From Nov 1935-1945, Labour/left wing parties won nearly 30 seats from the Tory party in by-elections .
- Led by 12% in polls in 1943
Credibility and Experience
- The Labour Party had previously only been in Government twice- forming minority administrations.
- The War gave them experience and credibility.
- There was a rise in collectivism during the war- a key concept of socialism
- Rationing, the Battle of Britain, conscription and evacuation united communities blurring class lines- shown by 22% of the middle class voting Labour and wins in Tory strongholds of Birmingham and East Lewisham in the…