During the 19th Century Vietnam was ruled by France and known as Indo-China.
- Vietnam was very profitable for the French, due to rich supplies of coal, tin, zinc and rubber
- To transport all these goods, the French built a network of railways, roads and canals
French began to change the Vietnamese way of life dramatically.
- People converted to Catholicism, abandoning Buddhism
- French customs introduced and those who resisted were punished.
French schools were soon established to educate Vietnamese administrators. In 1902, Hanoi University opened.
- One purpose of the education was to develop people who would remain loyal to the…