Comment about the poem
- The image of the onion suggests love can be harsh and painful
- Love is described as intense, jealous and impossible to escape
- Duffy makes the onion sound beautiful and special, like her view of love
- Loyalty is suggested by the image of an onion
- Marriage and commitment is suggested by the image
'It's platinum loops shrink to a wedding ring'
'It is a moon wrapped in brown paper'
'It will blind you with tears'
'Its scent will cling to your fingers, cling to your knife'
''Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips'
Effect of language on the reader
- This image is menacing because it suggests that it lingers desperately. The last word is sinister as…