- by 1947, the US foreign policy was changed dramatically from the candidatory approach towards the Soviets to a more militant one
- Truman issued a statement in March saying that it "must be the policy of the Unite States to free peoples who are resisting subjugation"
- pressure for the US government to take action came from the Long Telegram and Iron Curtain speech in 1946
- the West saw Soviet expansion through events in Greece
- since 1944, Greece had been in a civil war between the monarchists and communists
- following the defeat of Nazi Germany, the British helped restore the Greek royal…