- Created by: Cm054390
- Created on: 12-12-19 13:49
Aspects of tragedy:
- Hamartia = fatal flaw leading to the downfall of the trafic hero.
- Hubris = pride.
- Fate = development of events outside a person's control (supernatural power).
- Catharsis = purge of repressed emotions.
- Pathos = emotions evoked eg: pity, sympathy and fear.
- Megalophyschia = greatness of soul.
- Anagnorisis = when a character recognizes another character's true identity.
- Peripetia = sudden reversal of fortune.
Greek tragedy + Othello
- Othello = high ranking general who has a megalophyschia but suffers from hubris.
- Othello's fate = inevitable from when he arrives in Cyprus, saying he feels 'too much joy'.
- Act 5 = tragic actions take place, evoking pathos.
- Here Emilia performs some functions of a Greek Chorus when commenting on Othello's foolishness.
Conflict + suffering in tragedy
- In othello Shakespeare presents a different type of conflict - the focus is narrower.
- The conflict we witness is in Othello's mind.
- Othello = divided against himself and very conflicted towards his feelings…