- Created by: Lauren
- Created on: 19-01-13 16:42
- Northanger Abbey is separated into two volumes. Volume 1 is set predominantly in Bath and deals with frivolous matters such as balls, dresses, social etiquette. Volume 2 set at Northanger Abbey follows the female protagonist and antitype gothic heroine as she becomes so enthralled in the gothic novels, popular at the time.
- The frivolity of volume 1 could be seen as Austen suggesting that the gothic genre is equally as frivolous.
- Volume 1 is used to create a genial and domestic story that allows Austen to introduce the gothic anti type characters
- Volume 2 mostly parodies the gothic genre and it's ridiculousness