What are attitudes?
- psychological tendancy expressed by evaluating particular entity with some degree of favour or disfavour
- organisation of beliefs, feelings and behavioural twendancies towards socially signifiant objects, groups or events
What are attitudes for?
- Rapid and automatic evaluation of trwarding or harmful objects confers and survival advantage
- Zajonc said attitudes are primitive basic responses to environment
- Roskos-Ewoldsen & Favio (1992) viewed attitudes as mental shortcuts whih focus attention on salient objects influence info interpretation, guide behaviour
- Katz (1960) four functions - knowledge (provide info about environment), utilitatian/instrumental (maximise gains and minimise losses), value expressive (provide sociasl role by communicating social values) ego defensive (protect ones' self confidene by resisting damaging truths