NOTES ON SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS
Cohabitation: Either do Catholics and Protestants OR Christianity and Islam, OR Christianity and Judaism.
- Not acceptable
- Marriage was God’s plan for creation
- Lack of commitment within a relationship
- Not a stable environment to raise children
- Raises the issues of chastity
- Pope in Casti Conubi states ‘Every sexual act must be within the framework of marriage.’
- Paul’s teaching: people should aim for sexual control: ‘If the unmarried cannot control themselves, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion.’
- It wasn’t what God intended.
- Genesis: ‘therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be united with his wife…’
- Undermines the sacred nature of the religious ceremony of marriage
- Some accept that it is part of a committed relationship
- Sensible way for couples to get to know each other
- Shows love and strengthens the bond
- Agree with Catholics that casual sex is unacceptable
Cohabitation: All Christians (Catholics and Protestants)
- Sex is a gift from God, and a joy to humanity.
- Genesis: God’s first instruction to Adam and Eve was ‘Go forth and multiply’.
- Sex is holy and sacred, which expresses a deep and unique love between two people.
- It should be reserved between two people at any one time.
- Sex is life giving
- Children should be brought up in a stable environment.
- Sex is a natural part of human life.
- The sex…