- Created by: Anna
- Created on: 12-06-15 12:24
Science has these main feature:
1. Objectivity- Impossible in science to gain totally, but still important
2. Controlled Observations- Specific manipulation, usually of environment
3. Paradigm- Theoretical orientation
4. Replicability- Repeatabled, to find consisent findings.
Scientific method is induction and decution:
- Making observations (Induction)
- Producing laws/theories (Induction)
- Generate hypothesis (Deducution)
- Test via experiment (Deduction)
- Reject or refine theory (Deduction)
Agurments for Psychology as a Science
1. Scientific knowledge is more useful than ''common sense''
- Understanding human behaviour, allowing the production of verifiable knowledge, and distanting from common sense psychology.
- Creating proof
- Only scientific psychology can provide this.
2. Psychology is a science because it uses the scientific method to gain knowledge
- Coming up with theories, making hypthesis, testing these theories, and modifing results, to rejects or refine hypothesis.
- Hypothetico-Decductive Method.
3. Some areas of Psychology are certainely scientific
- Idea that everything has a cause, and needs investigating to…