COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY: REBT
- REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy) developed by Albert Ellis.
- Many problems are the result of irrational thinking.
- Someone thinking irrationally to think they must be liked and accepted by everyone they meet, and then meet someone who disapproves of them may eventually feel worthless.
- REBT helps the client understand irrationality as well as the consequences.
- REBT is used when the therapist thinks the problem is occuring from faulty thinking.
- How Does It Work?
- Irrational beliefs, self-defeating thoughs, lead to unproductive otcomes. REBT tries to change these self-defeating faults.
- A-B-C model is at the core of REBT
- A is the activating event, being criticised by another person.
- B is the belief why this may have happened.
- C is the consequence of this beleif
- REBT tries to change the irrational beliefs because they lead to faulty thinking --> this leads to an emotional state and more positive behaviour.
- Challenging Irrational…