- The psychodynamic model is based on conflict in development.
- The model is based on Freud's division of personality into the id, ego and superego.
- It also uses is stages of development - oral, anal, phallic, latency and genital.
- The model suggests conflict and anxiety may occur during childhood as the ego isn't yet developed enough to deal with the id's desires, understand real-world issues or cope with the superego's moral demands.
- Psychological disorders may also come from conflict or anxiety which happens in a certain stage of development.
- Anxiety from the conflicts is repressed into the unconscious mind. Stress or trauma in adulthood may 'trigger' the repressed conflicts, leading to psychological disorders.
- Aim was to allow the patient to access repressed thoughts and unconscious conflicts.
- Patients were then encourage to deal with the conflicts.
- Freud recognised this process would be painful and cause…