Voting systems that use PR seek to ensure that the proportion of seats won by each party is approximately in proportion to the votes cast for each.
- Single transferable vote (STV)
- used in the Northern Ireland assembly and the local government in both Northern Ireland and Scotland.
- There are multi-member constituencies.
- Electors vote in order of preference ( they can vote as many or as few times as they want).
- Each party produces a list of its candidates in each constituency (1-6).
- An electoral quota is calculated. ( Number of votes/number of seats + 1 ) + 1
- Candidates who achieve the quota on first preferences are…
Similar Government & Politics resources: