- Created by: Jess Smith
- Created on: 17-10-12 18:41
"No single model of addiction can explain all aspects of addictive behaviour"
- Genetics may play a role in addictive behaviour.
- Multiple genes probably involved
- Dopamine levels rise cigarette
- Other addiction e.g. cannabis links to gene in different brain system
- Most genetic vulnerability research has been done into alcohol addiction
- Many family studies show high rates amongst relatives of a alcohol misuser. Although other studies show similar results impossible to separate environmental and genetic factors
- Personality factors (psychological) and the way different addictive substances are metabolised in the brain (biochemical) would be nessary to observe the effect of on addiciton.
- The trigger to start an addictive behaviour is likely to come from environmental factors.