The notion of resultant forces is a really important one:
- In most real situations there are at least two forces acting on an object along any direction.
- The overall effect of these forces will decide the motion of an object - whether it will accelerate, decelerate or at a steady speed.
- If you have a number of forces acting at a single point, you can replace them with a single force.
- If the forces all act allong the same line, the overall effect is found by just adding or subtracting them.
- The overall force you get is called…