- Plum Pudding Model- Possitive 'dough' negative 'plums'.
- Nuclear Model- atom with a nucleus.
Rutherford & Marsden.
- Created a scattering experiment.
- Alpha Particals were blasted into a piece of gold foil.
- Most alpha particals passed straight through.
- Some were passed through but were deflected at different angles.
- Very few particals were deflected back on themselves (very large angle.)
- Therefore, an atom consists mostly of open space, with a possitivly charged nucleus ( the alpha paricals are possitive- so they are repelled by the possitive nucleus.).
Proton- Charge +1. Mass 1.
Neutron- Charge 0. Mass 1.
Electron- Charge -1. Mass 0.
In a neutral atom.- the number of protons equals the number of electrons- therefore there is no overall charge.
- Atoms can gain/ loose electrons to be charged ions.
- Atoms of the same element but of differentnumbers of…