- The ideological role of the media is to persuade us that it is in our best interest to accept the dominance of this elite
- Introduced and used the concept of hegemony
- This elite is able to rule because the rest of the population allow it to do so
- How people are influenced into accepting the dominance of a power elite
- Hegemony can also be applied to the power relations found in gender, sexuality and race
- Popular culture contributes to the manufacturing of consent for bourgeosie power within captilalist societies
How are Gramsci's ideay reflected in everyday life?
Every day behaviours that keep government's in power...
- People hanging flags from their homes
- People rising and removing thier hats when the national anthem is sung
- People celebrating a country's independence day with parades and picnics
Every day behaviours that keep corporations in power...
- People wearing designer clothing
- People shopping at chains instead of local stores