- Created by: Elannm
- Created on: 24-05-16 21:09
Media As A Cause Of Crime
· There has been concern that the media has a negative effect on attitudes, values and behaviour, especially on those most susceptible to influence:
Ø Lower classes
· 1920s-30s – cinema was blamed for corrupting the youth.
· 1950s – horror comics were held responsible for moral decline.
· 1980s – it was ‘video nasties’.
· Recently – rap lyrics and computer games have been criticises for encouraging violence.
· The ways in which the media might cause crime and deviance:
Ø Imitation – by providing deviant role models, resulting in ‘copycat’ behaviour.
Ø Transmitting knowledge of criminal techniques
Ø As a target for crime
Ø Portraying the police as incompetent
Ø Glamourising offending
· Most studies have concluded that an exposure to media violence has a small and limited negative effect on audiences.
· Schramm et al – for some children under some conditions, some TV is harmful, for others it may be beneficial…