2. To what extent was the League of Nations a success?
In the 1920s, the league failed to enforce disarmament. At the Washington Conference in 1921, the USA, Japan, GB and FR agreed to limit their navies but that is as far as they got.
The failure to disarm was particularly damaging to the League's reputation in Germany.
Germany had been forced to disarm. But no other countries had disarmed to the same extent.
The Locarno Agreements, 1925
- Greeted with enthusiasm in France.
- Appeared to solve problems from WW1.
- Provided France with some border security.
- The agreements meant that Germany would join the League…