- Created by: chinwe
- Created on: 30-04-15 13:29
Hurricane katrina - New orleans - August 29th 2005
why was New orleans at risk?
- It was already below sea level
- Had the missipi river running through it
- situated on the gulf of mexico
- The levee and flood wall holding back water from the missipi river was weak, the water was emptied into New orleans- Poor maintainence and structure, only capable of withstanding a category 3 storm
- The missisipi wetland (delta) was being destroyed due to oil extraction. Coukd not absorb the flooding by Katrina.
- Global warming is leading to a rise in sea temperatures and thus more storms
- 1464 people died
- 1 million homless
- jobs and homes destroyed
- by 28th, 80% of the population had evacuated
- Looting in poor black communities