Heat is transferred in three different ways
- Heat energy can be transferred by radiation, conduction or convection.
- Heat Radiation is the transfer of heat energy by infrared (IR) radiation.
- Conduction and convection involve the transfer of energy by particles.
- Conduction is the main form of heat transfer in solids.
- Convection is the main form of heat transfer in Gases and Liquids.
- Infrared radiation can be emitted by solids, liquids and gases.
- Any object can both absorb and emit infrared radiation, whether or not conduction or convection is taking place.
- The bigger the temperature difference between a body and its surroundings, the faster the heat energy is transfered.
Infrared radiation - emission of electromagnetic waves
- All objects are continually emitting and absorbing infrared radiation. Infrared…