1.1 various definitions of health and wellbeing, including physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual dimensions
- Health: is a state of complete physical, social and mental wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity ( WHO definition 1946)
- Broad definition including three areas can be difficult to make a judgment if people are healthy or not
- limiting definitions as ‘Complete’ health is not achievable for most people
- Clarified in 1986 ‘ a resource of everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasizing social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.
- Wellbeing: how a person feels about themselves and their life
- Health and Wellbeing: refers to the overall state of a person’s physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual wellbeing and is characterized by an equilibrium in which the individual feels happy, healthy, capable and engaged, (Jac)
- Dynamic: always changing
- there are five different dimensions of health and wellbeing: physical,, social, mental, emotional and spiritual
Physical Health and Wellbeing:Physical health relates to the functioning of the body and its systems, it includes the physical capacity to perform daily activities or tasks
Physical health supported by factors such as regular physical activity, consuming a balance diet, having appropriate rest/sleep, maintaining an ideal body weight and the absence of illness, disease or injury.
Social Health and Wellbeing: Social health relates the ability to form meaningful and satisfying relationships with others and the ability to manage or adapt appropriately to different social situations.
It also include the level of support provided by family and within a community to ensure that every person has equal opportunity to function as a contributing member of society. Social health is supported by strong communication skills, empathy for others and a sense of personal accountability.
Emotional Health and Wellbeing: Emotional health relates to the ability to express feelings in a positive way. Emotional health is about the positive management and expression of emotional actions and reactions as well as the ability to display resilience. Emotional health is the degree to which you feel emotionally secure and relaxed in everyday life
Mental health and wellbeing: Mental health is a current state of wellbeing relating to the mind or brain and it relates to the ability to think and process information. A mentally healthy brain enables an individual to positively form opinions, make decisions and use logic.Mental health is about the wellness of the mind rather then the illness. Mental health is associated with low self esteem, as well as a sense of confidence and optimism.
Refers to a persons cognitive and thinking process, for example their capacity to think coherently, express thoughts and feelings and respond constrictively to situations.
Spiritual health and wellbeing: Spiritual health is not material in nature, but relates to ideas, beliefs, values and ethics. Spiritual health includes the concept of hope, peace's, a guiding sense of meaning or value and reflection on your place in the world.
spiritual can be…