How do plants and animals grow differently?
- When organisms grow they get bigger. The easiest way to observe growth is to measure an increase in size, length or mass
- Each child is compared to a chart to find out which percentile of the population
- Growth in an organism involves two processes
- There is an increase in the number of cells when a cell divides to form two identical cells, and these then get bigger
Growth in plants
- Plants grow all through their lives. Plants have special areas called 'meristems' just behind the tip of their roots and shoots where the cells keep dividing
- However, growth in plants isnt just about cell division. Once the cells have divided they get longer (elongation…