Gravity and Planetary Orbits
- Gravity is the centripetal force that keeps planets in orbit
- Gravity is the force of attraction between masses - the larger the masses the greater the forces of gravity between them.
- The gravitational force acts as the centripetal force which keeps one object orbiting another.
- An orbit is possible when there is a balance between the motion of the object and the gravity pulling it inwards.
- Planets orbit stars in elliptical (slightly squashed) circles.
- The further the planet is from the Sun, the longer it takes…