- Created by: kamran2631
- Created on: 16-09-17 11:58
Biology Revision (B1):
Heterotrophic: Eats other things.
Autotrophic: Makes its own food by photosynthesis.
Saprophytic: Digests other organisms outside of its body.
Uni cellular: Made of just one cell.
Multi cellular: Made up of many cells.
How it eats:
[Bacteria are not cla**ified as living since they do not grow or feed.]
The Order of Cla**ification:
Chordata: Have supporting rod running through the body. [Vertebrate / Invertebrate]
Poikilotherm: Cold Blooded.
Oviparous: Lay eggs.
Viviparous: Give birth to live young. [Internal Fertilisation / External Fertilisation]
Hybrid: Two species, closely related, interbreed and produce hybrids, which are usually infertile.
Binomial Name: 1st Name - Genus
2nd Name - Species
- They can tell us how closely related two different species are.
- Can be used in all languages.
- Not all hybrids are infertile.
- Some organisms [Bacteria & Fungi] reproduce when there is just one parent.
- Mallard ducks can hybridise with other closely related species to produce fertile [hybrid] offspring.
- Some gulls form ring species - neighbouring species can interbreed.
Genetic Characteristics: Characteristics which are pa**ed down from parent DNA or caused by mutilation.
Environmental Characteristics: Characteristics acquired during an organisms lifetime caused by its environment. e.g. Colour, accent etc.
Evolve by Natural Variation:
- Variation in Species X…
- Individuals in Species X compete for limited resources. e.g. food, space etc.
- The individuals in Species X which had the best adaptations are most likely to survive…
- … and reproduce…
- … and pa** on their genes to their offspring.
- Over many generations this resulted in a gradual change in Species X. Eventually it evolved into Species Y.
New Evidence for Evolution: Rats that have become resistant to rat poison Warfarin.
The proce** of becoming a new species. This often happens when there is some sort of geographic isolation.
GENES AND GENETIC INHERITANCE:
Homozygous: Both alleles are the same.
Heterozygous: Both alleles are different.
1. Sickle Cell Decease: [rece**ive]
** - Healthy
** - Healthy but a Carrier
**-has Sickle Cell
- Become tired very quickly
- Short of breath
- Painful joints because their red blood cells stick together.
2. Cystic Fibrosis: [rece**ive]
FF - Healthy
Ff - Healthy but a Carrier
ff - Has Cystic Fibrosis
- Produce sticky mucus in lungs
- Lung infection
- Difficulty digesting food