WHAT IS GAMETOGENESIS?
Gametogenesis is the formation of gametes. Spermatogenesis is the formation of sperm while oogenesis is the formation of oocytes or ova. In both males and females, gametogenesis can be divided into three stages:
- Multiplication phase, in which cells divide by mitosis;
- Growth phase, in which the cells grow in size;
- Maturation phase, in which these cells divide by meiosis to form haploid cells, before differentiating into gametes.
Sperm formation occurs in the seminiferous tubules of the testes.
- The outer layer of the seminiferous tubule is made up of germinal epithelium. This is where the germ cells divide by mitosis during the multiplication phase.
- As the cells divide, they move towards the centre of the tubule. The germ…