The Functionalist persepetive on the family.
- Functionalist believe that society is based on the value of consensus- a set of shared norms and values-into which society socialises its members.
- Functionalists see the family as a particularly important su-system- abasic building block of society.
- Murdock (1949) argues that the family performs four functions to meet the needs of society.
- 1. Stable satisfaction of sex drive- with the same partner, preventing the social disruption caused by sexual "free for all".
- 2. Reproduction of the next generation,without which society could not continue.
- 3. Socialisation of the Young, ino society's…