Factors influencing Storm Hydrographs
- Large basins receive more precipitation than small therefore have larger runoff.
- Larger size means larger lag time as water has a larger distance to travel to reach the trunk river.
- Elongated basin will produce a lower peak flow and larger lag time than a circular one of the same size.
- Chanel flow can be faster down a steep slope therefore steeper rising limb and shorter lag time.
- Permeable rocks mean rapid infiltration and little overland flow therefore shallow rising limb.
- Infiltration is generally greater in thick soil, although less porous…