A Difficult Birth Easter, 1998
- An old ewe experiences difficulties in giving birth.
- This is connected with the Good Friday peace negotiations in Northern Ireland
- Gillian Clarke helps deliver the lamb; she is surprised when a second lamb appears unexpectedly.
- 'Good Friday' - Allegory or extended metaphor for the peace process. Refers to peace process on Good Friday.
- 'exhausted, tamed by pain' - Clarke makes it ambiguous as to who is exhausted and tamed by pain.
- 'Two hooves and a muzzle/but…