Electric Counterpoint General Points
- Composed by Steve Reich.
- Written for famous guitarist Pat Metheny.
- First performed in 1987.
- One of 3 movements which follow a typical fast-slow-fast pattern.
Key Features Of Minimalism
- The repetition of simple ideas.
- Layered textures.
- Diatonic Harmonies.
- Slow harmonic rhythms.
- Little variety in instrumentation.
- Electric Counterpoint is written for live guitar.
- When performed the live guitar is accompanied by 7 guitars and 2 bass guitars that have been prerecorded.
- The live guitar is amplified to blend in well with the backing tape.
The movement builds up in 3 layers:
1) A syncopated quaver motif which is introduced in the live guitar and the top 4 guitar parts, one part at a time.
2) A new syncopated quaver motif which is introduced in the bass guitars.
3) A more sustained motif which is built around 3 chords, it begins in…