National Curriculum Options
- Stables and Wikeley (1996) - girls and boys choose different subjects. Boys are more likely to choose Graphics whilst girls choose Food Technology.
AS and A Levels
- Boys opt for Maths and Physics, whilst girls choose Sociology and English.
- Gender segregation in Vocational Training is very noticeable, as only one in 100 construction apprentices is a girl.
Explanations of Gender Differences in Subject Choice
- Oakley (1973) - 'Gender Role Socialisation' (learning the behaviour expected of males and females in society).
- Norman - from an early age, girls and boys are encouraged to play with…