The 'scattering' eperiment- discovery of the nucleus
- 1) used apparatus in a vacuum chamber: to prevent air molecules absorbing the alpha particles
- 2) used a very thin layer of gold foil to fire alpha particles at -->
- ALPHA PARTICLES CONSIST OF 2 PROTONS (Positive charge) and 2 NEUTRONS (no charge) that overall has a 2+ POSITIVE CHARGE.
- 3) they used a detector to measure the number of alpha particles deflected per second through different angles, each time an alpha particle hit, a spot of light was observed.
Their results showed that:
- most of the ALPHA particles passed staright through the metal foil
- number of alpha particles deflected (going 'to') per minute decreased as the angle of deflection increased, deflected by varying amounts
Results:There is a NUCLEUS at the centre of every ATOM that is:
- Positively charged because it REPELS alpha particles (because the foil had a atoms in the metal had…