Nature vs nurture
- Development primarily determined by inherited factors.
- Anything produced by the predetermined unfolding of genetic information (Maturation)
Maturational theory - Darwin, Gessell and McGraw
- Development according to maturational timetables.
- Children's abilities pre-determined by genetic inheritance
- Teaching of little use if the appropriate maturational stage has not been reached.
- Maturational stages of development so discontinuous development.
- Both theories just differ to the extent to which nature and nurture affect development.