- The data protection was created to keep private and personal data, private. But it only covers people, not businesses or buildings. For example if you buy something using a business credit card it is not covered by the DPA but if you use your own credit card it will.
- Everybody can check what data is held against them.
- The government set up the Information Commissioner's to look after the act.
Who uses it:
- Data sunject: data subjects have data held about them.
- Data users: the people who use it.
The data controller in a company makes sure that the data protection act is being followed in that company. The data subject can check what is being held against them.
8 main princibles:
- Fairly and lawfully processed-
- Used for limited purposes - the company has to give a reason why they want…