- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 28-04-21 10:15
- Work of French sociologist, Pierre Bourdieu.
- Range of capitals:
- Economic capital.
- Social capital.
- Education capital.
- Cultural capital.
Who has Cultural Capital?
- Sullivan (2001): Students who achieved higher:
- Read complex fiction.
- Watched documentaries, current affairs and science and nature programmes.
- Attended events that were seen as 'high culture'.
- Had parents with higher level qualifications.
- Passed down to children through socialisation.
- Reay: Middle-class mothers had higher economic, educational and cultural capital.
- Middle-class parents also have high social capital which helps with work experience placements, networking and university entrance.
How do Parents use their Capital in Education?