- Created by: RandomEpicness
- Created on: 05-04-21 11:57
- Minor e.g. SNP, UKIP, Plaid Cymru etc.
- Major e.g. Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrats
Political Spectrum= LEFT WING TO RIGHT WING (downwards)
- Communism: All resources in nation owened by state
- Socialism: System of common ownership, more equality and robust welfare for those in need. (Labour)
- Liberalism: Less gov. interference, more individual rights, laws only passed to improve society. (Lib Dems)
- Conservatism: Belief in tradition, family values and authoity. Private ownership and free enterprise. (Conservatives)
- Fascism: Authoritarian and nationalistic, typically run by dictator using force.
Key Policies of major parties
- Formed to represent working classes, responsible for NHS and welfare state
- Education: Free education and National Education Service
- Health: Increase tex bill of top earners to fund NHS
- Economic: Reinstate public ownership of sectors e.g. railways. Increase taxation of richest.
- Social: Extend welfare to meet need, promote equality
- Formed to represent middle ground between labour and conservative
- Education: Reinstate uni grants for poorer students
- Health: tax everyone more to fund NHS
- Economic: Boost economy with a programme of capital investment
- Social: Reverse cuts to benefits for 18-21 y/os.
- Formed with principles to protect British culture and traditions, promote private ownership and enterprise.
- Education: Create more selective schools
- Health: Real terms increase in NHS spending
- Economic: Increase free trade, limit welfare, decrease gov. spending
- Social: Encourage more home ownership
- 650 MPs, each represent their consituency.
- 18 or over
- British or Irish citizen
- Eligible Commonwealth citizen
- Nominated by 10 electors in consituency
- able to pay £500 deposit (returned if 5% of votes won)
- authorised to stan for political party OR choosing to be an independant candidate
- Civil servant, police force, armed force, judge or Church of England bishop
- government nominated director of commercial company
- peer in House of Lords
- Subject of bankruptcy restrictions
- convicted and imprisoned for over a year
- found guilty of electorral corruption within last 5 years
Process of Selection:
- Loads of people join and become politically active in their chosen party
- Parties advertise for candidates, those who are eligible and interested apply
- Parties may have a list of prospective candidates who are politically active or advisors on areas of…