- Created by: Charlotte Jones
- Created on: 15-03-13 22:31
The s block: Groups 1 and 2
- Group 1 elements are metals known as alkali metals.
- Group 2 elements are metals known as alkaline earth metals.
- Soft, weak metals.
- Low melting points.
- Low boiling points.
- Very reactive.
Reactions of elements with water
- All the elements react with water to form hydroxides and hydrogen.
- The vigour of the reaction increases as you go down the groups.
General equation for reactions:
(Group 1) 2Li + 2H2O ----> 2LiOH + H2 (Li can be replaced with any Group 1 element)
(Group 2) …