- Created by: ellencjhughes
- Created on: 16-05-23 11:22
Assess how successfully Britain dealt with its international crises.
- threatened the security of arguably one of the most important trade routes as it gave Britain access to its Empire.
- Korean war
- checked communist aggression: world security
- NATO established a permanent military that firmly tied the US to Europe: security of having the USA's backing.
- First gulf war
- global security by removing Iraq from Kuwait
HOW FAR DO YOU AGREE THAT RELATIONS BETWEEN BRITAIN AND RUSSIA WERE CHARACTERISED MORE BY HOSTILITY RATHER THAN FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN 1951-1997.
- Khrushchev and Macmillan in the 50s
- exchanged good will visits (superficial?)
- did not fundamentally change the nature of their relationship as they started to accuse eachother of hostility.
- Thatcher and Gorbachev in the 80s
- 'could do business together' despite opposing ideologies
- Major and Yeltsin in the 90s
- Yeltsin was thankful for Major's support after the downfall of the USSR
- 105 soviet diplomats accused of spying
- Philby case
- Kim Philby was feeding the USSR information in ww2 and…