Background - Autistic individuals are diagnosed with the 'Triad of Impairments': Difficulty with social interactions, difficulty with verbal and non- verbal communication and a lack of imagination.
Austistic people lack the theory of mind.
- Adults with austism and AS with be impaired on the theory of mind tests.
- Within the 'normal population' females will do better than normal males.
- Quasi experiment
- Independent-measures design
- Self-report measures
IV = Whether the participant has autism or not.
DV= Correct responses to tests / how well the participants do.
- High-functioning volunteer autistic participants ( 13 male, 3 female)
- Normal participants (25 females, 25 males) - Control group
- Tourette's participants (8 male, 2 female)
Control group is controlled because of their age and IQ. Also to control extraneous and confounding variables.
Procedure: ( did four tasks to decrease order effects )
- Eye's task - 25 different faces only shown…