- In America, the first original theatre piece in English that conforms to the modern conception of a musical, adding dance and original music that helped to tell the story, is generally considered The Black Crook, which premiered in New York on September 12, 1866.
Musicals set out to entertain through a combination of:
- Catchy music in a popular style
- Solo songs, duets, choruses and ensembles
- Orchestra or band accompaniment
- Spoken dialogue
- Dance sequences, stage spectacles and magnificent costumes
These are all held together by the plot.
Musicals are usually performed in theatres, most famously on Broadway and in the West End of London. Broadway is also used as a general term to refer to American musicals.