Processes Of Life
-The basic processes of life carried out by all living things depend on chemcial reactions within cells that require energy released by RESPIRATION.
-Photosynthesis as a series of chemical reactions that release energy by breaking down large food molecules in all living cells.
-Enzymes are proteins that speed up chemical reactions.
-Cells make enzymes according to the instructions carried in genes.
-Molecules have o be the correct shape to fit into the active site of the enzyme.
-Enzymes need a specific constant temperature to work at their optimum and that they permanently stop working (denature) if the temperature is too high.
-At extrene high temperatures changes the active site;as temperature increases rates of reactions increases
-Enzymes work at its optimum at a specific pH
-Photosynthesis word and balanced symbol equation:
-Main stages of photosynthesis:
- light energy absorbed by the green chemical chlorophyll
- energy used to bring about the reaction between carbon dioxide and water to produce glucose
- oxygen produced as a waste product
Glucose may be :
- converted into chemicals needed for growth of plant cells,e.g protein cellulose,chlorophyll
- converted into starchb for storage.
- used in respiratikon to release energy
Plants have :
- chloroplasts contain chorophyll and the enzymes for reactions in photosynthesis.
- cell membrane allows gases and water to pass in and out of the cell freely while presenting a barrier to other chemicals.
- nucleus contains DNA which carriers the genetic code for making enzymes and other proteins used in the chemical reactions in photosynthesis.
- cytoplasm where enzymes and…