What is an atom?
- The smallest particle of a chemical element that can exist.
- Atoms are the basic building blocks of ordinary matter.
What does an atom consist of?
Atoms are made from smaller subatomic particles.
- Atoms consists of a central nucleus surrounded by one or more electrons.
- Atoms consist of:
- A central necleus surrounded by shells.
- Central part of the atom.
- Most of the atoms mass is located here.
- Made of protons and neutrons.
- Neutrons as the name suggests are neutral, uncharged particles.
- Found within the atomic nucleus.
- Protons are positively charged particles.
- They have a relative charge of +1.
- Found in the nucleus.
- Electrons are arranged in energy levels or shells surrounding the nucleus. Each shell can hold different numbers of electrons.
- Electrons are negatively charged particles.
- They have…