Reaching a Verdict – How Psychology Can Inform Behaviour in the Courtroom
Reaching A Verdict
3.2 Majority Influence
· An insight into the power of majority influences and conformity.
Key Study: Asch, The Power of Majority Influence & Conformity
· To investigate the effects of conformity to a majority when the task is unambiguous.
· A laboratory experiment
· Asch arranged for a naïve participant to be asked a question to which several stooges of the experimenter had already given clearly the wrong answer.
· The confederates were told to give the same incorrect answer on 12 critical trials.
· In total there were 18 trials with each participant:
o In the first two trials- confederates answered correctly