Type A or B?
Which is which?
Type A- Time pressured; competitive at work and social situations; Easily frustrated.
Type B- Patient; relaxed; easy-going.
Note: You may be asked to describe what behaviours you would expect to see given a personality type. Think of applications.
Friedman and Rosenman (1960)
- 3000 American males.
- Interviews used to determine personality type.
- Type A where founnd to be twice as likely to develop coronary heart disease (CHD).
- Large sample, very likely a representitive sample.
- Time validity- methods of copng with stress have improved since the 1960
- Ethnocentric bias- All Americans. Findings may not be generalised to other cultures.
- Self report techniques- May be social desirablity bias, i.e. particiapants may be lying.
- Mediating Factors…