America In The 1930's.
In Of Mice and Men, there is many themes running through the book that were related to America at the time.
This shows Steinbeck wanting to make the book as realistic as possible.
American society was racist in the 1930s.
- Crooks is treated badly in the book. His experience was probably typical of black men at the time.
- Racist language, which would have been seen as very offensive now, was common back then.
- There was segregation in many US states. Black people had to use separate public places to white people.
- There was horrific racist violence.
The American Economy was in chaos.
- Wall Street crashed October 1929.