- After WW1: Briatin acquired Palestine as a mandate - used to be part of the Turkish Empire.
- Jews had lived in Palestine 2,000 years ago, but had to leave when the Romans invaded, so Palestine became settled by Arabs.
- 1917: Balfour Declaration, Briatin promise to help the Jewish people resettle in Palestine in return for their support in the war.
- 1920-30s: Thousands of Jews moved into Palestine hoping to create a Jewish homeland, alarming the Arab population.
- 1936-39: Arab revolt against Jewish immigration, Britain have to send in troops.
- 1939: Britain need support from Arabs in the war, so agree to limit Jewish immigration to 15,000 over…
Similar History resources: