Issues that contribute to poverty
- Trade- unfair import/export tariff, multi national
- Debt- corrupt rulers, interest repayment
- Disease- hunger, poor sanitation, polluted water, over crowding, AIDs, poor medical
- Disaster- hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, draught
- War- death and disability, cost, lost crops, refuges, infrastructure
- 'Poverty'- low wages, large families, few resources, unemployment, corruption, lack of education
Organisations that 'help'
Fairtrade Foundation- campaign for fair prices for farmers and producers. Set up by Christian Aid, CAFOD, tradecraft
G8 summit- 8 wealthiest countries meet to discuss how to tackle poverty and set goals
DFID- Department for international development. Part of the government
Things anyone can do
- Give money or goods to ell in a charity shop
- Give time - working in a charity shop
- Joining Campaigns
- Raising Awarness
- Short term emergency disaster appeals
- Buying virtual presents
- Voluntary work in a gap year
- Encourage government.
- The Good Samaritan
- Should help anyone in need.
- should give clothes, money and food.
- Voluntary work
- Love thy Neighbour
'Rich people who see a brother or sister in need yet closes their hearts against them, cannot claim that they love God.'
This shows that they should help one another and failure to do this shows that you do not love God
- Believe that prevention is better than cure
- Should help people in need
- Selfish desire is the direct cause of suffering (4 noble truths)
- Karuna- compassion, help the poor
- Dana- Giving gifts or making donations