Economic Reasons for living in areas of volcanic a
1) Fertile volcanic soils- the lower slopes of Mount Mayon, Philippines, are covered with rice field, coconut plantations, tomatoes+ other vegetables. Mayon's eruption in 1993 killed 75 people- all tomato farmers in the Bonga Valley (one of the areas declared off-limits by the government). Today- 20000 locals live+ farm within Mayon's Permanent Danger Zone.
2) Minerals in volcanic rocks- e.g. tin, silver, gold, copper, diamonds, etc. The money made by mining these minerals outweighs the risk of volcanic activity.
3) Geothermal energy- e.g. Iceland. 2008- 28% of electricity generation came from geothermal energy. The energy is so cheap, that in the wintertime, some pavements in Reykjavik are heated.
Social reasons for living in an areas of volcanic
1) Poor people- LICs; can't afford to move; their livelihood is based on their jobs in the area
2) Family+ friends- don't want to leave them
3) Culture- people living close to Mount Merapi, Indonesia, worship ancient spirits- believe that the spirits watch over the peak+ will warn them of an eruption. Full moon- clims the volcano crater+ throw in rice, jewellery+ live animals to calm the volcano's spirits.
4) Chance- believe that the chance of the volcano erupting is very low- remain dormant for 100s of years-> locals think it's worth a risk.
Environmental reasons for living in areas of volca
1) Popularity- popular tourist areas, e.g. Mount Etna, Sicily- attracts 1000s of tourists who travel up to the crater by cable cars. A range of tourist facilties gives the local pop many jobs.
Economic reasons for living in areas of earthquake
1) Tourism- popular tourist areas, e.g. Turkey+ Iceland-> jobs for the locals
2) Mining- consider the risks acceptable, as long as they can make a good living from mining. E.g. landslides, triggered by earthquake tremors, caused loss of lives at mining sites around the world. E.g. 2007- an earthquake measuring 7.7 hit an area of large copper mines in Chile-> killed 2 people+ injured 117
Social reasons for living in areas of earthquake a
1) Safety- people in MICs feel safe in earthquake zones due to the advances made in earthquake proof buildings. E.g. since 1981- all new buildings in Japan are earthquake proof. Also, disaster plans tell people what to do in an emergency.
2) Low- people believe that the chance of them being affected by an earthquake is very low.
Environmental Reasons for living in areas of earth
1) Houses- people buy houses in beautiful+ exclusive areas despite potential earthquake risks, e.g. Malibu, California
2) Safety- people feel safer as buildings can now be built to be earthquake proof.