- Created by: Bibiture
- Created on: 29-10-18 19:14
Chapter 1 When it all began
1. The History of the Finch family, the town of Maycomb and the Radleys are described, and the main characters of Jem, Atticus and Calpurnia are introduced.
2. Jem is 10 and Scout is 6 when they meet their next-door neighbour Dill.
3. The children become very interested by Boo Radley, who hasnt left his house for 15 years.
Chapter 2 - 3 An education begins
1. Scout and Jem begin school, Scout for the first time.
2. Scout's teacher, Miss Caroline Fisher, finds out Scout is clever and scolds her for her advanced learning.
3. Scout returns to school, where Miss Caroline if frightened by Burris Ewell's jumping "cootie" and other class members try to explain to her about the Ewell family. Scout stands up and explains and gets lightly hit with a ruler.
4. When Scout gets home Atticus encourages Scout to look at her experiences in a new light.
Chapter 4 - 6 The fascination continues
1. Scout and Jem discover gifts hidden in an oak tree, and start to wonder who has left them there.
2. Scout rolls in a tyre, pushed by Jem, into the Radley steps.
3. The children take on character roles - Dill's "worst perfomance was Gothic" - in a Boo Radley play and are caught by Atticus but deny the Radley connection.
4. Scout spends time with Miss Maudie Atkinson, a kindly neighbour, who tells her more about the Radley family.
5. They go into the Radleys garden in the night but are seen, they run away and exit through under the fence, there is a gunshot and Jem loses his trousers.
6. The children leave Boo a note and Atticus catches them, asking them how they would feel if he entered their bedrooms without knocking.
Chapter 7 - 8 Everyone to help
1. Jem and Scout find more things in the tree knot-hole
2. The children try to leave a thank-you letter, and discover Mr Nathan Radley, Boo's keeper, filling up the hole.
3. A cold winter brings heavy snow to Maycomb, as heavy as "appomattox" according to Mr Avery. Scout and Jem's snow man is "an absolute morphodite" - Miss Maudie.
4. Miss Maudies house catches fire. As Jem and Scout watch, Boo unnoticed by the children, places a blanket around Scout's shoulders.
5. Jem realises who has put it there and pours out to Atticus all the events concerning Boo. Initially, Scout does not understand why.
Chapter 9 - 11 A sin to kill a mockingbird
1. Atticus has taken on a court-case and is defending a "*****" called Tom Robinson.
2. The children must learn self-control to accusations of their father for instance at school and at Finch's landing, where they are spending christmas with Aunt Alexandra and other family.
3. The children are all given air rifles for Christmas. Atticus says "Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can het 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
4. Jem knocks the heads of Mrs Duboses camellias after she has shouted vicious things about Atticus.
5. As a punishment from Atticus he is forced to read to Mrs Dubose every night.
6. Before her death she leaves a single white camellia for Jem. Scout and Jem learn that Mrs Dubose had been brave as she was fighting a morphine addiction.
7. Atticus tells the children that "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand".
Chapter 12 - 14 Gentle breeding
1. Calpurnia takes Jem and Scout to the black people's church, and we learn about Tom Robinson's family and that he is accused of ****.
2. Aunt Alexandra has come to stay. She persuades Atticus to try to make Jem and Scout appreciate that "you are not from run-of-the-mill people".
3. Aunt Alexandra and Atticus quarrel about Calpurnia's position in the household.
4. Dill turns up, having run away from his home in Mississipi